Coming to college, I was lucky enough to discover a bakery with the most delicious donuts ever. Extremely soft and covered with a cinnamon powdered sugar, they are seriously the best donuts I’ve ever eaten. As a college student with food allergies, I was glad to find something delicious that everyone enjoys that I can enjoy with them too. To avoid a risk of cross-contamination, and as a fun challenge, I decided to try to replicate the recipe on my own. Though these might not be quite the same as picking them up from the bakery, they have a similar effect.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 9 minutes
1 cup of flour
1 tsp of baking powder
¼ tsp of baking soda
1.5 tsp of cinnamon
¼ tsp of salt
1/3 cup of brown sugar
¼ cup of milk
¼ of sour cream
2 tbsp of melted butter
2 tsp of vanilla
1 tbsp of maple syrup
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp sugar
- Whisk together all of the dry ingredients, (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon) Set aside.
- Next melt the butter in a microwave safe dish and stir in the vanilla. Pour into a larger, suitable bowl and add the rest of the wet ingredients (egg, brown sugar, milk, sour cream, and maple syrup)
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Pour batter into a donut pan and bake at 350 degrees for 9 minutes.
- While the donuts are baking, stir together the ingredients for the topping.
- When the donuts are finished baking, roll them in the powdered sugar as soon as they are cool enough to transfer from the baking pan. You can also make a glaze from the topping by adding a tablespoon of water to the mixture. I prefer the powdered topping personally though.
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge for up to three days.
Enjoy these delicious, spicy donuts! Comment below with your favorite lookalike recipes.